Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pork Chops with Pineapple Chutney

There are two goals I want to accomplish this summer:  the first is cleaning our basement, which has become a repository for anything we can't find another place for.  The second is to lose 11 pounds.  While it won't get me to where I need to be according the the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute's BMI calculator, it will be a good start, and hopefully, my clothes will still fit with minimal alterations. 

Between reading the information in various Weight Watchers cookbooks, and scouring the web, I have learned enough to follow a simplified version of their program.  It worked for me once before, and Sarah also managed to lose weight on it.  So far, I've lost three pounds.  I am keeping track of my progress and my daily food intake using the Weight Watchers Tracker on Facebook.

Anthony had requested pork chops for dinner last Friday night.  I found a delicious recipe in my Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook (c. 1998) for Pork Chops with Pineapple Chutney (p. 174). 

 
  Start with fresh pineapple, a Granny Smith apple, raisins, red pepper, red onion, hot pepper, vinegar, ginger, orange marmalade, garlic, mustard seed, cinnamon, cloves, and fresh ground pepper.  Lots of peeling and dicing!
  
 
  Simmer for 40 - 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Here we are at the halfway point.
 
It's finally done!  Serve on the side, so each diner can decide how much he or she wants with their baked pork chop.
Yummy!

No comments: