Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pizza!

It's no secret that I love pizza.  I think I could eat it a couple times a week.  But what I can no longer love about pizza is the fat in the cheese and the meat.  (I am making an effort to cut back on fat and cholesterol in what I eat since my LDL is too high and I am trying to avoid going on medication.)  What I have been doing lately is combining my love of this book
with my love of 'za.  This is the result:


I start with a delicious crust made without oil, using whatever dough I have in the 'frig.  Once the dough is shaped, I put just a smidgen of olive oil on the rolled-out crust, followed by whatever I can find for toppings.  On this pizza I used thinly sliced tomatoes, some black olives (yes, I know they contain fat, but no cholesterol), some thinly sliced fresh mozzarella, and lots of fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, oregano, and parsley.  Bake it on a pizza stone in a 550 degrees F oven for 10 minutes, and you have the most delicious pizza on earth.  I especially like tomatoes and basil as toppings.

If you haven't been bitten by the artisan bread craze, I urge you to check out Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and/or its sequel, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  You can also visit the website at artisanbreadinfive.com.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Don't cut back too much on oils! They serve some very necessary purposes in keeping our bodies healthy.

Pizza looks delish though, and olives are so good for you. :-)