Monday, August 4, 2008

Pleated Sunsuit

This is my version of "Baby's Pleated Sunsuit" from Issue 119 of Sew Beautiful magazine, which I am making for a little girl at church. If I don't get it completed soon, it'll be too late for her to wear it before the cold weather arrives again!
Here's a semi close-up of the front bib. I think the embroidery design is from a Husqvarna Viking disk; I'll have to look it up!
I still have to sew the buttonholes on the front of the bib, sew a snap and button on one side of the "bloomer" section (I'm cheating - the pattern called for two buttons/buttonholes on each side, but I'm making it easier for mom by using snaps; tiny buttons can be difficult when dealing with a squirming baby!), and decide how to close the "bloomers" - snaps or buttons. I'm leaning toward snaps. What do you say, Mom Erin?

There are some problems with this pattern. I couldn't figure out the faux pockets, so I did faux-faux pockets! And the directions said to put aside the straps if they were to be buttoned in the back, but never told you how or when to stitch them onto the back waistband if buttoning in the front. There was also a problem with the crotch placket - the front placket was too short to make the placket the same size as the back, so I spent a lot of time figuring that out. I will visit the Martha Pullen message boards again to see what other people might have done about these problems.

The pattern is sized for 6, 12, 18, and I think 24 months, and can be used for a girl or a boy. Despite the frustrations, this is a cute pattern, and there are many possibilities for embellishment, making it fun and interesting.

1 comment:

~~Deby said...

So precious, Ginny !!!