It's completed! I stayed up late last night, sewing on snaps and buttons. The only functional buttons are the two for the snaps; the others are simply stitched on top of the snaps. Nice look without the trouble of making buttonholes. (My sewing machine makes beautiful buttonholes, but they can be difficult to execute in tight spaces.) And yes, as I was thinking of doing last night, I decided to put snaps on the crotch; I used different buttons there than on the rest of the sunsuit.
This is the front:
And the back:
Finally, a close up of the front.
Alas, Grace informs me that the little one who will receive this later today is going through a growth spurt! I can only hope it fits . . .