Monday, July 30, 2012

Wedding Card

This is the card I made for the lovely couple I mentioned in my last post.

I thought you might be interested in the process I used to create this card.

To begin, I reviewed the cards I pinned to my Pinterest board, and chose the first one on this page as my inspiration.   Next, I started pulling out embossing folders, Spellbinders dies, rubber stamps, ribbon and lace, bling, and an ink pad - anything I thought I might use.

Did you notice the most important element for making this card?  Yup - M & Ms, peanut variety!

I had only eight different embossing folders that were approximately 2" x 2": Cuttlebug's Fancy Corners and Formal SquaresIn the picture below, you can see how I taped four folders at a time onto the B plate for my Cuttlebug before running it through the machine. 

Next, I created the center medallion.  The stamp I chose was one long line, so using my Stamp-a-ma-jig, I was able to split it into two and properly position it on the center of a Spelbinders Fancy Tags Two.  (The ink is Cranberry ColorBox.)  I put the tag on top of an element from Spellbinders Twisted Metal Tags and Accents.

 After I embossed all my pieces, I needed to figure out how to position them on the card.

I played around with them quite a bit before I was satisfied and felt the design was balanced.  I'm strange like that - I have to have some things "just right", especially my cards.  The other challenge I had with this card was getting eight pieces secured to the card front with an equal amount of space between them.  There was a lot of measuring involved!  In the picture below, you can see that I started by taping down the four corner pieces.

From there, it was a simple matter of putting the other pieces on.  Before I used pop dots to attach the center medallion, I had to choose which ribbon or lace to use; I ended up choosing a beautiful tone on tone white ribbon.  It went around the card front, and was secured to the back using my tape runner. 

You can see how difficult it was to position enough pop dots on the back of the medallion.  I ended up cutting some in half, no easy task because they are so small!

I attached the red card front to my card base, which I pieced together using Bekka's excellent instructions at the bottom of her post here.  I finished off my card by placing a couple of pearls on the medallion.

Because of the size of my card - which, of course, I neglected to write down - I made my own envelope using my Martha Stewart Scoring Board.

This was a fun card to make.  I loved working with red (the couple's favorite color) and white, as well as finally using my small embossing folders to create this elegant card.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wedding Gifts

Once again, I have been MIA.   Does anyone else find that their weeks just fly by?  I was turning the blocks on my husband's perpetual calendar earlier tonight and realized that it is July 14.  How did that happen?  Wasn't it just July 4th?  (Big sigh.)

Back on June 23, we attended the wedding of the daughter of long-time friends and our church's music administrator (who is the worship leader for the band I sing with).  It was such a beautiful wedding!  The bride made sure her dress was modest with the addition of a short jacket, and the entire service was centered on Jesus Christ.  There were even two trumpeters, which took Phil and I back to our own wedding 28 years ago.

Do any of you remember the mystery project I was working on at the beginning of the year?  It was Nathan and Diana's wedding gift.  I am hoping that by now they have opened their gifts and will not have the surprise spoiled by seeing this post on Facebook.

I decided to stitch My Beloved by Country Cottage Needleworks, but I personalized it by using their favorite color - red - for the lettering.  I also changed some of the other colors by choosing different shades of those that were charted so that they coordinated with the red.

I also brought out the red in the frame, which wasn't easy to find.  (A huge thank you to the framing employee at Michaels!)

I also stitched a Christmas ornament.  This was the third time (I think) that I've stitched this.

I will do my best to be back soon to share some cards I've made recently.