Saturday, August 23, 2008

Butterick 4811


I finished this blouse last week and wore it to church this past Sunday. I never thought I'd need to make a muslin, but I should have as the fit was very poor. I ended up tapering the shoulder seams, and entirely reworking the side seams, and there's still a gap on the back armhole on one side. Additionally, the armholes are cut very low, necessitating the wearing of a tank top or camisole underneath (which is probably what the designer intended.) Another change I made was to use very wide (1") bias tape for the casing, and sew it to the inside, then make buttonholes for the tie to come through. The pattern called for a self-fabric casing to be sewn to the outside, but I felt the fabric demanded something a little more dressy. There were also some problems with the under collar markings not matching up, but that was fairly easily dealt with.

There's a long sleeved version also, but it uses the same pieces for the bodice as for the one I made. I wonder how it would fit?

Will I make it again? Maybe. But I'd make a muslin first and try to get the fit correct.

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Wow that's really clever. Looks fab. xx

Michelle said...

I think you did a great job! The color is really pretty too~

I wish I knew how to sew. It's on my list of things to do in my life!

Michelle