Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Vacation Part 1 - Repost

My daughter brought to my attention that the pictures on the first posting of this entry got lost somehow.  I'm not sure where they went.  Strange things have been happening at our house with our Internet connection, so perhaps whatever gremlin is wreaking havoc here got to my blog post.  LOL  In any case, here's the entry again, with pictures this time - I hope!

We had our first vacation in six long years August 10 - 16.  We traveled down to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, about a 6.5 hour drive from home (including rest stops), which is home to the oldest settlement of Amish in the United States.  [You can read more about the Amish and Lancaster county here and here.]  This is one of my favorite places - it's peaceful, beautiful, and quaint, with farms as far as the eye can see.  For the first time, I was the designated driver, so I missed a lot of photo opportunities.  And because we had five people to please, two of whom are dealing with chronic illness which slows us down, we didn't get to do as much as we have in previous visits.  I would love to visit craft and quilt shops all day, but other than Sarah, no one in our family would enjoy that!  I do have picture of one quilt to share with you today.  This one was in the window of the Old Country Store in Intercourse.  Unfortunately, I don't have the name of it, but it sure is pretty!

 
 The octagonal part in the middle was defined using lovely white braid.  There was also braid incorporated into the scallops at the bottom.  Beautiful!

1 comment:

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Ginny, so sorry that you have been sick. In the midst of this clean out, I have gotten the stomach virus, so the closet is looking good, but everything else is piled up. That has made me see even more the need to simplify.I am spending far too much energy keeping stuff up, or hidden neatly for that matter. It has become more of a burden, so I have really tried to think of how long has it been hidden away, and chances are if it is quite some time I probably won't be needing it. Even though things are a mess right now I know it's going to feel better once its done. Hope you are feeling better soon. Jackie