Sunday, December 19, 2010

Meet Cassie!

As I mentioned in my last post, losing Callie was heartbreaking for me.  Sarah felt the same way, so after talking about it, we knew we needed to get another kitty right away, not to replace Callie, but to fill the void in our hearts and lives left by her absence.  This past Wednesday we headed off to Lollypop Farm, our local humane society.  We had identified some cats we were interested in, thanks to Lollypop's great website, and were anxious to select the newest member of our family.  Some of our choices we eliminated quickly, and we ended up spending time with three cats - two were kittens and one a two-year old.  In the end, we settled on Cassie, the two-year old.
Phil plays "rope" with Cassie
Cassie had been at Lollypop for about two months.  She was found under a trailer with a litter of kittens, and eventually brought to the Farm where she patiently waited for us to adopt her. The vet at Lollypop believed her to be part Russian Blue, so we will ask our own vet what she thinks.
Cassie plays rope with herself
Cassie is loveable and playful.  She's mostly been confined to the master bedroom while she gets used to her new home, but we have let her run upstairs a few times.  She can be wild, racing from one room to the next, almost as if she were a kitten.  She loves to play "rope", where someone moves the rope to and fro so she can catch it.  She even takes it away to the other side of the room on occasion.  She also has a jingle ball that she loves.  Cassie plays so hard that she will hop up on the bed and fall fast asleep.  She is seven pounds of soft, lovable fun. 
There is a relatively new type of cat personality test that Shelters are using now; it's called "Feline-ality program" created by Dr. Emily Weiss of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.  Lollypop uses the test, and Cassie tested as a "Personal Assistant".  "You're working on the computer?  Let me press the keys.  Reading the paper?  I'll hold the pages down for you.  Watching TV?  I'll just plop in your lap so you can pet me.  I love an orderly household, don't you?  I'll help you with all your chores, and I'll help you relax when we're done.  You'll wonder how you ever managed without me."  For now, Cassie is shy and doesn't like unfamiliar noises.  She doesn't seem to like the dog, but we hope in time she will tolerate Kelly.  Mostly, she is bringing joy to our hearts.  Isn't that part of what having a pet is all about?

BTW, in case you are wondering, I am working on some crafty projects, but they are Christmas gifts, so I can't show them yet!  Sometimes it's a real problem that family reads my blog AND it's published on Facebook for all my friends to read.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Oh Cassie is B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L! I so understand you wanting to go right away and get another cat. We often talk about it. Dagi was 13 on Dec. 23rd which is very old for his type of cat. They do not live to be very old. We always say each day with him is a blessing but when he does leave us, we will also get another cat as soon as we can. So, yes, I know about that place in your heart that can only be filled by a cat. :-)

Christmas hugs,
Heidi