Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Decorating

As someone who tires of decorating for holidays in the same way year after year, I found some new ways to use my familiar decorations this season.
The blocks I use all year long, rearranging them to say various things such as "country cottage" or "fall blessings." They used to sit on top of one of the electronic components in our entertainment center, but we had to do some rearranging, so I decided to put them on the shelf by the front door. The candle lamp I purchased from Home Interiors many years ago. The wooden ornament we found (I think) in the gift shop at a local Christmas tree farm.
This lovely decoration, which hangs on the interior of the front door, was made by my sister-in-law many years ago. She did a wonderful job!
Our entry way is an inverted "T", and on the right side of the "T" is a pie safe that Phil and I stained. None of the things I put on it ever go with the decor of the entry way, but I enjoy putting a variety of items on it.
The picture frame was made by Grace, and I've always intended to put a picture in it, but never have. I thought I'd find one of a snowman, but now I'm thinking a nice winter nature shot would be good.
We opted not to put a fireplace in our house; we have so much furniture that had to go in our great room that we wouldn't have been able to include the fireplace. So instead, I clear off this large shelf, which hangs over one of our couches, and it becomes our substitute mantel.
This little tree is perched on a small corner shelf at the edge of our dining area. It has lights on it, and some mini ornaments that I found at various stores, plus a bunch of gold and white snowflakes that I embroidered.

We finally put up the tree tonight, and I hope Phil and I can work on stringing the lights later today. If Grace is home on Tuesday night, perhaps we can put the ornaments on. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until Friday. It's rare that both of our girls are home on the same nights these days!

It's freezing here. Tonight's predicted low is 10 degrees F! We usually don't see temps like that until January or February. Our temperatures have been up and down, and although we haven't seen enough snow for our driveway to be plowed (must be 3" or more), we do get a coating now and then. Sure is strange weather.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi Ginny,

Your decorations look great ~ I like the idea of the shelf for your stockings. We don't have a fireplace either, so I have to hang them from our hall tree.

I think of you often and hope all is well with you and your family.

Thanks for stopping by,
Michelle