Saturday, December 19, 2009

Construction, Day 7

If it weren't for our current construction project, I'd have a difficult time meeting my goal of posting every day during December.  I suppose I could write about how cold it is for this time of year, or how the snow plow has been here three times already, which is also unusual.  It looks like we'll be having a white Christmas this year; in fact, the weatherman is tentatively predicting an "unsettled wintery mix" for the middle of next week.  Yuck.  I think that answers the question of which day we will do our grocery shopping next week - Tuesday - before the storm!

More drywall went up today; in fact, I think it is all up except for the soffit which will go around the existing ductwork.  The macerating barrel went into the floor today, so no more worries about the cats checking out the hole!  And the plumber comes mid-morning, so I'm hopeful the bathroom will be finished up early next week.

Up until now, I haven't been at liberty to say why we're doing this work, but I finally can.  As my regular readers know, my daughter, Grace, is getting married at the end of May, 2010.  Grace has another year at the local community college, and works only part time, and Anthony is currently out of work.  There was no way they could afford their own apartment here; one bedrooms can't be had for less than about $700 per month, unless you're in a questionable part of town.  The solution was for us to build a basement bedroom/sitting area/bathroom for them.  It will be a challenge for all of us to live together, but it will be helpful to them, and to us, as having another man in the house to assist with the things Phil can't do because of his health.

No comments: